By Hannah Bajor. C.N.M., M.S.N.
Heartburn relief during pregnancy is a common concern many pregnant women have. Read on to see what you what heartburn remedies during pregnancy are available.
What causes early pregnancy heartburn?
Heartburn in early pregnancy is a common complaint. The hormone progesterone is released as soon a woman becomes pregnant and can cause many early pregnancy symptoms which include pregnancy heartburn. Progesterone causes relaxation of the cardiac sphincter of the stomach which is the muscle between the stomach and the esophagus (food pipe). Relaxation of this muscle allows for some gastric acid and food to flow backwards and re-enter the esophagus (food pipe). Gastric acid irritates the lining of the esophagus causing a burning sensation in the center of the chest called pregnancy heartburn.
As your baby grows bigger and takes up more room in the abdominal area, the stomach itself is displaced and squashed. The growing uterus can permanently press on the cardiac sphincter of the stomach and allow gastric juices and food to constantly leak back into the esophagus (wind pipe) which may cause severe heartburn during pregnancy.
Heartburn remedies during pregnancy
- Heartburn relief during pregnancy can be achieved by eating yogurt or drinking a glass of milk.
- Try a tablespoon of honey in a glass of warm milk for pregnancy heartburn relief.
- Eat smaller more frequent meals throughout the day rather than three large meals.
- Avoid spicy, greasy, fatty foods, peppers and tomatoes produce extra gastric acid causing pregnancy heartburn.
- Avoid foods that relax the cardiac sphincter of the stomach such as alcohol, peppermint, garlic, and chocolate.
- Avoid eating for at least two hours before going to bed.
- Do not lie down after eating to prevent the food from the stomach flowing back into your esophagus causing pregnancy heartburn.
- If your heartburn symptoms are severe or accompanied by headache or swelling (especially if you are later on in pregnancy) consult with your health care provider immediately as you may have pre-eclampsia of pregnancy.
- Sleeping with extra pillows under your head to keep your stomach lower than your esophagus (food pipe) works very well to give you a better start to the day and a better nights sleep.
One of the most effective heartburn remedies during pregnancy is to try to prevent heartburn developing in the first place. The healthier you are prior pregnancy and the healthier you eat during pregnancy can have a direct correlation to the amount of pregnancy symptoms you have. I would like to invite you to supplement with a high quality Mangosteen and mineral product that many of my pregnant clients use to correct misalignments within the body and encourage the stomach to produce the right amount of gastric acid that you body needs for digestion. Visit http://www.VemmaMidwife.com
You may also be very interested in an amazing message that was telepathically dictated to me for humanity from my son when he was seven-weeks old. Yes you read correctly! I have the ability to communicate with baby’s emotions from inside and outside the womb. Down load this AMAZING MESSAGE FREE at http://www.PregnancySuccessCoach.com/Message_For_Humanity.html
If you wish to ask me a personal question about your pregnancy or an issue in your life then visit http://www.PregnancySuccessCoach.com/Ask_Hannah_Section.html
Hannah Bajor. C.N.M.,M.S.N.
Certified Nurse Midwife.
Pregnancy Success Coach
About the Author
Hannah Bajor, C.N.M., M.S.N. The Pregnancy Success & Holistic Health Coach has rightly earned her title! During her twenty-year active midwifery career Hannah has delivered over a thousand babies and cared for thousands of women before, during and after pregnancy. She has specialized in high-risk pregnancies and as a midwife has seen almost every possible complication during pregnancy.
She has a master’s degree in nursing and is a certified bereavement counselor for miscarriages and baby loss. She holds numerous certifications in the field of energetic healing. She is author of two highly acclaimed books: “Birth, A Conscious Choice” and “Sex Education For Students”.
Having personally experienced a miscarriage, unsuccessful infertility treatments, and a near death experience following the birth of her second son. As time passed, Hannah was driven to take her midwifery skills, her intuitive ability, and her knowledge about the energy anatomy of pregnancy and her formula for increasing fertility on an international scale. She is now in great demand for her international one-on-one coaching telephone practice and workshops. Her coaching and workshops serve to heal and empower women experiencing infertility, pregnancy, birth, miscarriage, adoption, abortion and post partum depression.